I just finished submitting 15 tag descriptions that are now sitting in the review queue. My hope and earnest expectation is that these will assist users in properly assigning tags to new questions.
While editing, I noticed the following problems:
- twisty-puzzles, 3x3x7, 5x5x5 are all duplicates of rubiks-cube
- brainfuck is an esoteric programming language; it doesn't warrant its own tag on this site
- paper-solving is a duplicate of pencil-and-paper-games
- naming is a duplicate of puzzle-identification
- layout has only one associated question, which is related to crossword layouts. puzzle-creation would work well to replace this.
- intuitive-solution also has only one associated question, which asks how to solve an unusual puzzle by Oskar van Deventer. My suggestion would be a more general how-to-solve tag to apply to questions asking about how to solve a particular puzzle. There is an existing tag for this, explanation, and I submitted a description for it, but how-to-solve seems much more intuitive.
- cipher is a duplicate of encoded-message, and appears in only one question
- guessing and smiley are superfluous and should be removed
- mpire is a duplicate of map-coloring
My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that the aforementioned duplicates and superfluous tags be synonymized or burninated by any user with sufficient privileges to do so. I would do so myself, but it doesn't appear as though I can do so even subject to oversight.
And my apologies if some or all of these issues appear in other meta threads, but at least now there's a record of them all in one place.