TL/DR: Are using online resources (such as google, wikipedia, etc..) frowned upon when answering a question
I'm mostly curious what the community's opinion of using google (or preferred search engine) or other online resource (i.e. wikipedia,thesaurus,etc..) to help solve puzzles on this site. I know it is an online puzzle site so it's very likely using online resources is going to be very commonplace. I also know some people might view using said resources as cheating. What is/ should the standard be towards such use?
Some possibilities I have thought of:
- Using online resources is totally fine, nothing should be done about it
- Using online resources is totally fine, but the answerer should make it apparent they used such aids
- Using online resources is mostly fine, but there should be a tag when the asker does not want said resources to be used (similar to no-computers but not exactly the same thing)
- Using online resources should be avoided, but made apparent when used
- Using online resources shouldn't be allowed unless the asker tags it with some online resources allowed tag
These possibilities probably are not all-encompassing.
I'm aware regardless of what the consensus is people will use online resources and probably not be apparent about it, but I am curious as to what the community thinks about this