Anyone who knows me knows that I like metapuzzles. I love when seemingly unrelated things come together into a satisfying conclusion. I've had a few ideas for new ones recently, but I didn't just want to use cryptic clues again. I had another idea - what if the component puzzles weren't cryptic clues, but were instead puzzles by other people?
How I imagine this working
- I finish planning the metapuzzle and modifying it to have the right number of answers.
- I send off an answer to everyone who's interested.
- The participants make a puzzle with their given answer word/phrase as the unambiguous solution.
- They post the puzzle on a specific day.
- I post the metapuzzle on the same day, after most or all of the others are up.
- Solvers work on the individual puzzles, then eventually crack the metapuzzle.
- That solver is crowned the Czar of Puzzles until thirty seconds later, when we all get distracted by a new puzzle.
What kind of puzzles are acceptable?
Pretty much anything! It can be a riddle, a crossword, a math puzzle, a cipher, or something else entirely! As long as there's some way to unambiguously get a specific word or phrase from it, then it's fine. (The A1Z26 cipher may help if you're limited by the genre you chose - for instance, a honeycomb maze could have specific hexes circled to spell out the answer.)
The actual questions
The main goal of this post is, of course, to gauge interest. Would you be interested in participating? You can still solve other component puzzles even if you make your own. (Also, I can assign you a specific type of answer if you need it - say, a noun for a riddle - but you might have to be flexible when I cannot. You can always write several riddles and have the initials spell out an answer, for instance.)
Some more questions:
How long should the time between answer sending and post deadline be?
What should we use to communicate? It'll mostly be sending off the answers and saying "ready", but we need some method. I'm fine with email, Skype, and Discord. Other tools would also work, but those might be the easiest.
Would this even be allowed? Technically, the metapuzzle wouldn't be self-contained. I don't think it should be too much of a problem, since it'd all be hosted on SE anyway (and we're pretty lenient on Puzzling compared to other sites anyway), but I'd like to get community approval beforehand.